.Net Core is an open source, general-purpose development platform maintained by Microsoft and the .NET community on GitHub. It’s cross-platform (supporting Windows, macOS, and Linux) and can be used to build a device, cloud, and IoT applications.
How .Net Core is different from .Net Framework?
.Net Framework is an old framework for building and managing Windows and
- You can create Web Forms using Asp.Net, Rest API using Web API and enterprise application using Asp.Net MVC.
- Creating Windows Applications.
- Can use multiple languages, that’s why it is language independent.
.Net Core is a cross-platform and open source framework for building the application which can run on any platform. It is not a new version on .Net Framework, whereas it is a totally new framework which is written from scratch to develop an application which can run on any platforms like Mac, Linux or Windows. Earlier .Net Framework was Language Independent but .Net Core is language independent as well as platforms independent.
With the help of .Net Core, you can do following things:
- Create Asp.Net Core, Razor page, UMP, Mobile native app and
- .Net Core is lighter and more modular. This allows our application to provide exclusively what we need, without the need of installing the full .NET suite.
- .Net Core applications can be deployed on Docker container.
- Can use Microservices
- You can create
- .NET Core has a higher performance than the traditional version, which is very important for Cloud environments.
How to download .NET Core
Here is the link to download various versions of .Net Core.
Download the latest version of .Net Core 3.0 SDK on your Windows, MacOS or Linux machine.
Download the .NET Core 2.2 SDK to try .NET Core on your Windows, macOS, or Linux machine.
All .NET Core versions are available at .NET Core Downloads if you’re looking for another .NET Core version.
.Net Core Versions Till Now
Here is the snapshot of .Net core versions till now.
There are multiple frameworks that have been built on top of .Net Core. These are:
Today, .NET Core has a huge community, driven by the use of open source technologies and with an awesome GitHub community.